Aitai

...

Thursday 5 February 2015

Our Sonata (Chapter 2)






It was during the early summer days I happened to meet him. It was after a weekly meeting at our private lodging; a meeting among leaders of our sub-houses and us the main house that I crossed paths with him. I have never met him before our first meeting.
It was a quiet walk, I remember, contrary to the meeting where the form of conversation was either through yells and cusses. I was walking around our traditional garden while dad had a few more discussions to make when I heard the long forgotten sound.
I didn’t realize how fast my steps were as I ran towards the sound and I was nervous even. That long gone dream suddenly resurfaced together with the excitement of watching my fingers danced to create a rhythmic and soulful melody. I have forgotten how alive music and melody is.
That was when I saw him, encased in a melodic trance in a dimly lit room only lightened by the small openings of the bamboo shutters of my mom’s music room. I thought to myself then of how long have I neglected this room and then there was this someone dared, to step foot into the room that I used to view as my fortress.

He stopped when he noticed I was standing at the door; watching him. He didn’t say anything. I didn’t either. I remember feeling overwhelmed at that very moment and I was also holding back my tears. It was because I realized that the song he played was the song mom had written. I had left the music sheet on the piano along with my memories with mom. I was tempted to enter the room, to once again be in the room re-living the moments with mom but I couldn’t. So in the end, I ran away. That person however stays in my mind because he made the music mom wrote alive.



No comments:

Post a Comment